Sunday, October 23, 2005

Levy this!

So my son is jammin' in his room to Kenny Chesney's "I Go Back" which includes the following:
I go back to a two ton shortbed chevy
Drivin' my first love out to the levee
Which of course brings to mind Don McLean's "American Pie"
Bye bye miss american pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
Don't any songwriters drive Toyotas? Saabs? VW's? Nearly all the lyric sites I came upon cite the above-referenced levee spelled as levy, which brings new meaning, doesn't it? Should one drive an American pickup truck to be forcibly taxed?
Particularly amusing would be to drive a Chevy to this sort of levee:
le·vee : noun
1 : a reception held by a person of distinction on rising from bed
2 : an afternoon assembly at which the British sovereign or his or her representative receives only men
Next time someone rings my doorbell before 8 a.m., I'm putting on a faux French accent and holding court.