Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Oh dear...

My son is at this lovely stage of development where he parrots back everything remotely interesting he hears. Most of the time this is quite charming, but sometimes it is quite a shock to hear my own words and intonation just moments after I've uttered them.

A few days ago, I was buckling him into the car seat. As I finished the last bit of the buckle, I said, "You're in! In like Flynn!" At which point, my son laughed and started parroting "In like Flynn! In like Flynn!"

It occurred to me that I had no idea of the origin of that phrase. Oh my...

The phrase "in like Flynn" became popular in the U.S. in the 1940s and is generally acknowledged as a reference to Flynn's success with women.
http://www.answers.com/topic/errol-flynn


At least on this topic I'm no longer

ignorant
adj.
  1. Lacking education or knowledge.
  2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
  3. Unaware or uninformed.
http://www.answers.com/ignorant