Monday, November 14, 2005

Behold the Power of Love

The oldest child has the most guilt-driven conscience ever. All I have to do is look at him and smile lovingly, and he immediately tells me if he's done anything he should not have done. Often he tells me things I would never have had any way of knowing. Often he shares things that really don't merit confession but are apparently weighing on him. All it takes is one loving glance from Mommy.

Today I looked at him lovingly in the rearview mirror as I was waiting to pull out of the school driveway after afternoon pickup. Instantly, he told me in a quite serious tone that he was sorry that he laughed when a classmate tooted in class.

Oh, my.

blurt
verb
To utter suddenly and impulsively.
"blurt." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 14 Nov. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/blurt

Accordingly, I make sure to gaze at him with love when I tuck him in, so he can get it all out and sleep soundly.