Sunday, December 18, 2005

Have you any news?

We were listening to Christmas carols when I realized the 3 year old thought the phrase was Hairy Christmas. I cleared it up (I think), then asked the oldest if he had any questions about the music. He wondered what tidings meant. I realized when I looked it up I had never known myself.

tidings
noun, plural
Account of what has taken place, and was not before known; news.
[The term news denotes recent intelligence from any quarter; the term tidings denotes intelligence expected from a particular quarter, showing what has there betided. We may be indifferent as to news, but are always more or less interested in tidings. We read the news daily; we wait for tidings respecting an absent friend or an impending battle. We may be curious to hear the news; we are always anxious for tidings.]
"tidings." Webster 1913 Dictionary. Patrick J. Cassidy, 1913. Answers.com 19 Dec. 2005. http://www.answers.com/tidings

So all those Christmas brag letters? Tidings.