Monday, December 19, 2005

Fakey Fakerton, I am not!

So, I was standing in line inside my son's school, waiting (amongst some of the most catty women in the state!) to take him to his class when Mrs. B. Snooty walked up to me and inquired about my afro. For the second time. The first time she asked if it was real and how I "get it to look so soft". Of course, it's real! I'd never wear an afro wig. In fact, I think anyone who can grow a real afro should not be wearing an afro wig. It should be outlawed, at least on the east coast! So, anyway... she says how she really likes it and how she couldn't "let my hair get all kinky and knotty" on purpose. Also, how she wouldn't know what to do with it. Mind you, this is coming from another African-American woman whose hair most certainly was like mine as a child. I was sort of offended at how she was inquiring and attacking my hair at the same time.

I just smiled and nodded for most of it. When there were no more veiled daggers to throw at me, she just stood there and smiled. I stood there for about 10 seconds, inspecting her hair, frowning my brow a bit and said "Awwww, you're precious, but I'm going to stick with the natural Atchafala". I smiled at her as I walked away to sign my son in. She was shocked and appalled. I was content. Oh, for the record, my 'fro is soft, fluffy, and shiny. Also, it's MINE and I love it. My hair isn't straight, it'll never be straight, and I'm all about being me.

Mrs. B. Snooty is completely obnoxious and I'm sure the snide comments will go on for the rest of the school year. She best proceed at her own risk...

Obnoxious: adj.

1. Very annoying or objectionable; offensive or odious: “I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so effective as their stringent execution” (Ulysses S. Grant).
2. Archaic. Exposed to harm, injury, or evil: “The town … now lies obnoxious to its foes” (John Bunyan).
3. Archaic. Deserving of or liable to censure.


From Answers.com