Thursday, February 16, 2006

Motion Sickness

Our station wagon was navy blue with faux wood panels. The seats inside were a vinyl that heated to astounding temperatures in the summer sun. And twice a year, once on the way to Maine and once on the return trip, I would get carsick. Most years, I gave enough advance warning for whichever parent was driving to exit off the New Jersey Turnpike. (I only ever achieved full, productive, nausea on the Turnpike.) But other years I went from deep sleep to full vomit in ten seconds flat. Those were the summers we rode the rest of the way with every window open.

Thankfully, I've largely outgrown car sickness. But certain SUVs, with their higher centers of gravity and less smooth rides, still make my stomach

wamble
verb
1. To move in a weaving, wobbling, or rolling manner.
2. To turn or roll. Used of the stomach.
[Middle English wamelen, to feel nausea.]
"wamble." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 16 Feb. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/wamble

And roller coasters aren't even an option.

What my parents wouldn't have given for these!