Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A slow start

I had high hopes for my fantasy baseball team, which includes Johan Santana, Carlos Zambrano, Bobby Abreu and a few other studs. I felt confident that my healthy mix of young talent and established veterans would put up strong numbers. As a life-long Cubs fan, I've learned to avoid the temptation to "talk smack" about a team before it has proven itself. Still, I went into this first week with a silent smugness that I would show my opponent who was boss.

Alas, I'm losing by 74 points. Zambrano and Santana earned a measly two total points in their first outings. Abreu, a paltry five. I'm feeling slightly

crestfallen
adj.
1. Dispirited and depressed; dejected.
crestfallen

Dictionary definition of crestfallen
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. More from Dictionary