Sunday, October 09, 2005

Heaven

I'm sitting here feasting on scuppernongs, which is one of the great joys of living here. I was never able to find them in DC, though I asked at every farmer's market, small market, and large grocery I visited. Most people had no idea what on earth I was after, even with a description.

A scuppernong is a large type of muscadine, a type of grape native to the present-day southeastern United States. It usually has a greenish or bronze color, and is similar in appearance and texture to a white grape, but rounder and about 50% larger.

Its name comes from its original place of production, Scuppernong, North Carolina, where it was first grown during the 17th century, a name itself tracing back to the Algonquin word ascopo for the sweet bay tree.

Several small green seeds are found in each grape.
"scuppernong." Wikipedia. Wikipedia, 2005. Answers.com GuruNet Corp. 09 Oct. 2005.
http://www.answers.com/topic/scuppernong

I live roughly 250 miles west of Scuppernong.