Tuesday, October 04, 2005

One day, I forgot to eat lunch after skipping breakfast

The result of which was that, while watching my oldest play this game, I found myself directing which ingredients he should catch and in what order. I realized what was going on when I accused him of "ruining a perfectly good sandwich" by catching mayonnaise, a legitimate catch in the game but not something I like. After apologizing profusely, I ran to the kitchen and made myself the best sandwich possible with the ingredients on hand, none of which fell, like so much manna, from the sky.

manna from heaven
An unexpected aid, advantage, or assistance, as in After all the criticism in the media, that favorable evaluation was like manna from heaven. This expression alludes to the food (manna) that miraculously appears to feed the Israelites on their journey from Egypt to the Promised Land (Exodus 16:15).
"Manna From Heaven." The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992. Answers.com GuruNet Corp. 05 Oct. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/manna-from-heaven