Thursday, January 12, 2006

I Am On the Verge of Posting

Having grown up in the Southern part of the U.S., there are many regional words and phrases that I have heard over the years. Some I use, some I don’t and some I have lost in my travels over the years. One that I will never stop using is

Fixing.
v.intr.

  1. To direct one's efforts or attention; concentrate: We fixed on the immediate goal.
  2. To become stable or firm; harden: Fresh plaster will fix in a few hours.
  3. Chiefly Southern U.S. To be on the verge of; to be making preparations for. Used in progressive tenses with the infinitive: We were fixing to leave without you.

"fix." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 12 . 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/fix


Here, much like in France, we don’t care very much for the last consonant of a word so this would be pronounced and spelled fixin’. The choice between “fixin’” and “about to” is no choice at all. I have no doubts that even if I were elected President of the U.S.; my

Inaugural
adj.

  1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an inauguration.
  2. Initial; first: the inaugural issue of a magazine.

n.

  1. An inauguration.
  2. A speech given by a person being formally inducted into office.

"inaugural." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 12 . 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/inaugural

address would go something like this:

I’m fixin’ to faithfully execute the office of President to the best of my ability.