Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Brother, Have You Got A Pillow?


I work the graveyard shift. This is untoward, from a biological point of view. We have strong mechanisms in place to encourage us to sleep at night. This is what the rest of the world does, and unless I want to have no normal social contact whatsoever I must return to a normal sleep schedule on my days off. This means I get to toggle my sleep window regularly from the accepted nighttime hours to daytime (made as night-ish as possible with heavy curtains) for every other week or so.

This week the powers-that-be have been assigning me work all over the clock:
  • Tuesday--3:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.;
  • Wednesday--9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.;
  • Thursday--midnight to 5:00 a.m.

The question is, how does one sleep for a schedule like this? Because it's murder on one's

circadian rhythm.
n.
A daily rhythmic activity cycle, based on 24-hour intervals, that is exhibited by many organisms.

Sources:
Answers.com
Wikipedia

It's an interesting aside that when deprived of this day-night cycle people will fall into a sleep schedule slightly longer than the 24-hour cycle. Strange.