Saturday, January 28, 2006

But do you wool?

There is an inexplicable verb here in the South that I have never heard used in the affirmative. I speak of course, of

cotton
verb, informal
1. To take a liking; attempt to be friendly.
2. To come to understand.
[Middle English cotoun, from Old French coton, from Old Italian cotone, from Arabic quṭn, quṭun.]
"cotton." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 28 Jan. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/cotton

(I say "inexplicable", because I can find no explanation for how the name of a fiber came to be a completely unrelated verb.)

I have heard people insert the word much, as in I don't much cotton to that way of mind to temper their disagreement, but I have never, ever heard the verb cotton used in an affirmative sense, like I cotton your style or I cotton where you're going with this. It's always to not cotton.

Herewith, a list of

Things I Don't Much Cotton
Children having unchecked tantrums in public
Adults having tantrums at all
Old homes being razed to build new homes
Cookie cutter developments
Favors at birthday parties
Hummers, including the H3
Urban planning without sidewalks
Chick Lit