Sunday, February 05, 2006

Say my name, say my name

From a Washington Post column about the potential drawbacks of grocery cashiers thanking customers by name (as provided by customers for discount cards):

"I gave my name as Bobby Mister. So now, clerks say, 'Thank you, Mister Mister.' Some of them get it, some don't. And some are just puzzled, knowing something is going on but they can't quite figure it out."

I find this a brilliant solution. I may just start using a

pseudonym
noun
A fictitious name, especially a pen name.
[French pseudonyme, from Greek pseudōnumon, neuter of pseudōnumos, falsely named : pseudēs, false + onuma, name.]
"pseudonym." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 05 Feb. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/pseudonymity

I'm thinking of calling myself Pippi Ippi. I would therefore be called Mrs. Ippi.