Saturday, April 08, 2006

sounds like a hamlet on the Thames

If you read my other blog, I've already mentioned this word, sorry.
We're beginning to re-do our original 1952* kitchen next week. It's a total overhaul. We're going down to the subfloor, baby. IKEA will be furnishing us with our new cabinetry, among other sundries. I have learned during the past month that if there is one key part to any cabinet it is its:

plinth (plnth)

1. A block or slab on which a pedestal, column, or statue is placed.
2. The base block at the intersection of the baseboard and the vertical trim around an opening.
3. A continuous course of stones supporting a wall. Also called plinth course.
4. A square base, as for a vase.

Moreso I've learned that it doesn't matter one weasel's whisker what the plinth's made out of, all that matters are the doors.

*I love the 50's more than most people, but this was not a hip 50's house. This kitchen was a "that'll do" kind of design.