Saturday, May 13, 2006

Here they grow

Mother's Day is approaching, and I feel like my children are whirls of color and motion, growing up too fast. When I can catch them and still them, I look into my children's faces, wondering what they will look like as adults.

Will the youngest still have my late mother's nose? Will his hair stay that color or darken? Will he always have a thoughtful brow?

Will the oldest still have hair so thick? Will his eyes still crinkle at the edges? Will his facial expressions still be those of a

wag
noun
A person whose words or actions provoke or are intended to provoke amusement or laughter.
"wag." Roget's II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1995. Answers.com 13 May. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/wag

I want to capture them here, now, at this age, in this moment, and suspend time forever. Mother's Day is approaching again, and my heart is so full it aches.