Friday, January 06, 2006

No Jumping On the Bed Either

When I was a young girl, I would spend the summers with my grandmother. It was a rule that once the beds were made, there would be no “wallering” on the beds. When my grandmother makes a bed it is a work of art. The top sheet is put on upside down so that when you turn it down for the night the pretty print can be seen. And there is never one wrinkle on any of her beds. But I didn’t know anyone else who used the word ‘waller’. Then I realized that for my West Virginia born grandmother, ‘waller’ is how she pronounces

wal·low

intr.v., -lowed, -low·ing, -lows.

1. To roll the body about indolently or clumsily in or as if in water, snow, or mud.
2. To luxuriate; revel: wallow in self-righteousness.

"wallow." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 06 . 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/wallow

In other words, do not ruin Grandma’s work of art.