Monday, January 02, 2006

It's not jade

"I love your bracelet! The green one?"

She's speaking of the slender light grey-green bangle encircling my right wrist. I wear another bracelet on that wrist as well, a gold charm bracelet. On my left wrist, I wear my watch, face on the inside of my arm, plain black leather band. I wear my wedding and engagement rings everyday. I also wear a necklace with a pendant featuring a sapphire I handselected in India for my mother. The youngest plays with the pendant when he lies in my arms.

But back to the bracelet. It's not jade. It's plastic. It was originally a luminous green.

The oldest gave it to me. He "won" it. In truth, every single child won one that day, but he doesn't know that. In his mind, it is important. And he gave it to me, his face full of pride intermingled with love. And so I wear his bracelet everyday, everywhere.

The green has mellowed and taken on a grey tinge over the months. It's getting harder, too, as the plastic loses its give.

"Is it jade?" she asks when I thank her for the compliment on my bracelet.
"No, " I reply. "It's

treasure
noun
1. Accumulated or stored wealth in the form of money, jewels, or other valuables.
2. Valuable or precious possessions of any kind.
3. One considered especially precious or valuable.
[Middle English tresure, from Old French tresor, from Latin thēsaurus, from Greek thēsauros.]
"treasure." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 02 . 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/treasure