Friday, April 14, 2006

BOGOHO

BOGOHO = Buy One, Get One Half Off

(second pair 50% off)

That's the promotion at the show store where I have taken the oldest to get a new pair of sneakers, which is the word I will use for that type of shoe until the day I die.

The oldest eyes some Vans just like his father's. We measure his feet and find that yes, they have the Vans in stock in his size.

But there isn't a second pair of shoes in his size that he likes. Fine, I could use some new shoes, too. I eye sandals, wedges, flats, pumps, mules, working my way back through the women's section toward the sneakers.

When we leave a few minutes later, each of us carries a bag containing our new pair of Vans. The oldest's? Light brown. Mine? Bubblegum pink.

In the backseat of the car, as he buckles his seatbelt, the oldest makes eye contact with me in the rearview mirror, nods approvingly, and declares me

hep
adjective, slang: variant of hip
1. Keenly aware of or knowledgeable about the latest trends or developments.
2. Very fashionable or stylish.
"hip." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 14 Apr. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/hip