Saturday, July 29, 2006

How are you?

My father's been in intensive care for 25 days now. Friends and family call me, asking if they can do anything to help. They can't. Then they ask how I am. They're concerned.

I know I sound flat. It's my way of getting through things: I don't allow myself to think. I'll crash physically and emotionally when this is all over, but for now I am completely on

autopilot
also automatic pilot
noun
1. A navigation mechanism, as on an aircraft, that automatically maintains a preset course. Also called robot pilot.
2. A state of mind in which one acts without deliberate effort or self-awareness.
"automatic pilot." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 29 Jul. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/autopilot