Saturday, July 01, 2006

Raising a Suth-uh-nuh

When I was growing up, my mother used to sometimes take my hand and squeeze it three times. It meant I love you. One squeeze per syllable. It was a way to convey a bit of sweetness in situations where talking wasn't called for.

I have carried on the tradition with my oldest. Today I took his hand and gave it three squeezes. I love you. He immediately took up my hand to return the sentiment.

squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze
squeeze

I looked at him completely puzzled, so he did it again, this time whispering a syllable for each squeeze.

squeeze YOU
squeeze ARE
squeeze THE
squeeze BEST
squeeze MOM
squeeze IN
squeeze THE
squeeze EN
squeeze TI
squeeze UH
squeeze WORLD

En-ti-uh. It's how he says "entire". Even his squeeze messages have a little drawl.

drawl
noun
A drawl is a perceived feature of some varieties of spoken English, and generally indicates longer vowel sounds and/or diphthongs. Varieties of English which are said to feature pronounced drawls include Southern American English and Australian English, especially Broad Australian English.
"drawl." Wikipedia. Wikipedia, 2005. Answers.com 01 Jul. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/drawl