Monday, November 21, 2005

It's not over until the fat kitty sings

I took Clyde into our vet this morning. He noted Clyde had lost two pounds in the last six weeks, down to 9 pounds from 11, which is down itself from his healthy weight of 14. The vet noted Clyde's eye was fixed and nonreactive. He noted Clyde was lethargic and dehydrated.

Then he noted the look on my face, which would best be described as "tear-streaked."

And he offered the glimmer of hope that this possibly was another abcess that possibly might be rectified with minor surgery and intense antibiotic treatment. But he allowed as to how he wouldn't know until he sedated Clyde and aspirated the lump. And he said that was up to me, that he didn't think it was outrageous to try the aspiration, but if I told him I was prepared to stop, he would be willing to put him down.

Call me a

gambler
noun
1. A person who wagers money on the outcome of games or sporting events.
2. Someone who risks loss or injury in the hope of gain or excitement Synonym: risk taker.
"gambler." WordNet 1.7.1. Princeton University, 2001. Answers.com 21 Nov. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/gambler