Thursday, January 12, 2006

Busy is a state of mind

I was busy today. I took the oldest to school, did some routine household chores, walked on my treadmill, took the youngest to the hospital for this week's appointment, ran to the barn to watch the oldest take a driving lesson (as in horsedrawn cart), dropped the youngest at home with my husband, dropped film off for developing, hit the grocery, picked up the photos, and came home.

And then I read this article on the AP wire that begins:

HOUSTON -- A Houston firefighter took a promotion test 12 hours after giving birth because fire officials wouldn't bend the department's policy to allow a postponement.

Beda Kent gave birth to a healthy baby daughter at 9 p.m. Tuesday, slept for about 2 1/2 hours and then took the Houston Fire Department captain's exam at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

which made me feel a bit like a

slacker
noun
1. One who shirks work or responsibility.
2. One who tries to evade military service in wartime; a draft dodger.
"slacker." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 13 . 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/slacker