Thursday, May 18, 2006

Grocery Snobbery?

On certain items, I buy specific name brands at the grocery, and I have no intention of changing. My paper towels are Viva, my cleaner of choice is Windex with vinegar, and my hot dogs are Ballpark. On other items, I am willing to buy another brand if it is on sale; bread, pasta, and pretzels fall into this category. And on still other items, I buy the store brand. Flour is flour, rice is rice, and sugar is sugar.

Soda is one of those items that falls into the "specific name brand" category for me. The name brand on which I insist is Tab.

Clearly this is not true for everyone, however.




Mountain Roar instead of Mountain Dew? Twice Up instead of Seven Up? When store brands are named thusly, they come across as

knockoffs
plural noun, informal
Unauthorized copies or imitations, as of designer clothing.
"knockoff." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 18 May. 2006.