Friday, June 02, 2006

Think before Speaking

As I was growing up, my parents constantly reminded me to think before speaking. I thought at the time it was advice constructed to ensure one didn't say anything impolitic, but now I know it also refers to not dangling things in front of children. One shouldn't mention the park unless one is prepared to go to the park, because children are guaranteed to glom onto that one word, park, and not let up a relentless chorus of "Are we going to the park? You said "park". Can we go to the park? I heard you talking about the park. Park! Park! Park!"

impolitic
adjective
1. Not wise.
2. Lacking sensitivity and skill in dealing with others.
"impolitic." Roget's II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1995. Answers.com 02 Jun. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/impolitic

glom
verb
1. To take by theft.
2. To seize upon or latch onto something.
"glom." WordNet 1.7.1. Princeton University, 2001. Answers.com 02 Jun. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/glom