Sunday, May 28, 2006

No relation to Sebastian

There was some quite poor behavior exhibited today by a few adults at the children's park. Uncharacteristically, I said nothing. As I explained to someone later,

"The South is usually such a bastion of manners and propriety that such a glaring, persevering, and public* display of poor upbringing shocked me pretty much speechless."

bastion
noun
1. A group that defends a principle.
2. A stronghold into which people could go for shelter during a battle.
3. Projecting part of a rampart or other fortification.
"bastion." WordNet 1.7.1. Princeton University, 2001. Answers.com 29 May. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/bastion

Besides, I added, I had a hinky feeling.

hinky
adjective
1. Nervous.
2. Suspicious.
3. Off.
I wrote that definition. I couldn't find one on Answers.com. But take my word for it; that's what it means.

*that poor behavior occurs in private is not shocking at all, however. It's just not done in public here.