Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Orange... apple... peach... I have no idea

I'm in the produce section with the youngest, who is asking me, from his perch in the cart, the names of various fruits and vegetables. He says, "Right!" when he considers my answer correct. Apparently, I'm being tested, though I suspect he has no idea if some of my answers are right or not.

And now he's pointing at a... a... what on earth is that anyway? I'm stumped, and pick one up to look at the produce code sticker. I've never heard of this. It's something called a

pluot
registered trademark
A pluot is a fruit developed in the late 20th century by Floyd Zaiger. It is a complex cross hybrid of plum and apricot, being 3/4 plum and 1/4 apricot in parentage. Pluots are widely available in grocery stores, and are sometimes marketed as dinosaur eggs.

See also
Aprium
Peacotum
Plumcot

"pluot." Wikipedia. Wikipedia, 2005. Answers.com 24 May. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/pluot