Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Have a seat

I live quite close to the furniture towns of High Point, North Carolina, which sports a gigantic dresser as a landmark, and Thomasville, North Carolina, which sports an enormous chair.

But inevitably, I find myself shopping for furniture in small resale stores here in Winston-Salem, hoping to find an unrecognized older piece I can lovingly restore to glory.

Currently, I am looking for a few pieces for the oldest's room. I found a lovely chifforobe in one local resale store, but I don't need one, so I left it for someone else to discover.

noun, Chiefly Southern U.S.
A tall piece of furniture typically having drawers on one side and space for hanging clothes on the other.
"chifforobe." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 27 Dec. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/chifforobe

Forgive the quality of the picture. I was in a moving vehicle, and the driver barely slowed for this amazing photo opportunity.