Saturday, December 24, 2005

Neener-neener-neener

Once upon a time, I polled a decent-sized group of people. I asked roughly 100 others what they called the big store where one can buy food. Not for a specific store name, but the type of store.

I was the only one who called it simply a "grocery".

Some called it a grocery store, some called it a supermarket, some called it simply "a super", but nobody else said, "I'm off to the grocery," or "I need to pick up some things at the grocery."

I just looked into the matter, and I am vindicated.

grocery
noun
A store selling foodstuffs and various household supplies.
"grocery." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 24 Dec. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/grocery

The term "grocery store" is completely redundant. Ha.

(And yes, those shoppers-in-training are mine.)