Monday, January 16, 2006

What are you doing HERE?!?!

My mother was an elementary math teacher for a number of years. At least annually, we would be out and about somewhere when we would run into a student who would say, "What are you doing out of school?" in a shocked voice, it never having occured to him or her that teachers have lives beyond the classroom walls.

I always thought these children silly. Now I'm eating my former smugness with a spoon.

As I've mentioned before, I like to watch Law and Order reruns in the evenings. In the past week, I've seen not one, not two, but THREE of the actors from Sesame Street on L&O episodes. "Gina" was the girlfriend of a would-be-murderous prison warden AND, in another episode, she was a lesbian trying to meet women at a bar. "Maria" was in an episode about a cross-dressing murderous millianaire, and "Luis" played the most ineffectual attorney to date in an episode featuring bombwearing bank robbers.

It's exactly the same sentiment. I'm shocked to see their faces out of the expected

context
noun
1. The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
2. The circumstances in which an event occurs; a setting.
[Middle English, composition, from Latin contextus, from past participle of contexere, to join together : com-, com- + texere, to weave.]
"context." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 16 Jan. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/context