Friday, June 09, 2006

No

A friend called me at 7:40 this morning, weeping at something completely awful done to her and to her children. And there was nothing I could do to fix it. And there was nothing I could say to make it not hurt. I sat stock still, gripping the phone with both hands, searching my mind desperately for something, anything. It was an act beyond reason, beyond explanation, and I could offer no

succor
noun
1. Assistance in time of distress; relief.
2. One that affords assistance or relief
[Middle English sucur, back-formation from sucurs (taken as pl.), from Old French secors, from Medieval Latin succursus, from past participle of Latin succurrere, to run to the aid of : sub-, sub- + currere, to run.]
"succor." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 09 Jun. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/succor

I just listened. And as much as I like to think that's useful, it's not. It doesn't help in this situation one blasted bit.