Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The eyes have it

My eyes are a greyish blue. My mother's were a lovely cornflower blue. My father's are the blue of a stormy sea.

My husband's eyes are dark brown, the color of the richest earth, the soil that used to make my mother sigh in happiness when she gardened.

The oldest's eyes are a warm, medium brown with a smattering of gold flecks. His eyes remind me of Hershey's chocolate and teddy bears.

The youngest's eyes are a mix of all of our eyes, a light brown with flecks of darker brown, blue, and gold. In most pictures, they appear hazel, but in truth they are

variegated
adjective
1. Having streaks, marks, or patches of a different color or colors; varicolored.
2. Distinguished or characterized by variety; diversified.
"variegated." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. Answers.com 28 Dec. 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/variegated